Registration at the Aliens Officeall foreign students need a residence permit for study purposes (Aufenthaltserlaubnis zu Studienzwecken) To study in Germany. You will have to apply for the permit as early as possible after your arrival.
It is only possible to go to the Aliens Office (Ausländerbehörde) if you registered at the Residents Office (Stadtverwaltung / Stadtbüro) two days earlier!
Berliner Platz 1
Monday, Wednesday: 8.00-12.00 hrs
Thursday: 14.00-17.00 hrs
Europaplatz, building A
Monday-Wednesday: 7.30-16.00 hrs
Thursday: 7.30-18.00 hrs
Friday: 7.30-12.30 hrs
Please bring along:
- evidence of necessary funds (670 €/month for the cost of living through a proof of scholarship or notarised proof of other resources - i.e. formal obligation)
- 2 passport photographs (full face foto - "biometrisches Foto")
- lease contract for your room/appartment
- confirmation of registration form the Residents Office
- certificate of enrolment (Studienbescheinigung)
- proof of health insurance
The residence permit for study purposes is issued only for a limited time (up to 2 years). Before the permit expires you have to apply for a new permit. Please do not forget to apply BEFORE the expiry. A late renewal could lead to legal problems. For example the residence permit also includes the work permit. Therefore it would be illegal to work without a valid residence permit.
For citizens of EU-countries the procedure is easier. They only have to register at the Resident Office. Furthermore they have to complete a registration form (EU-Aufenthaltsanzeige) for the Aliens Office. This form has to be handed in during registration at the Residents Office. A few days later the EU-students can pick up there a document stating that the student is allowed to stay in Germany due to the right of free movement of persons in the EU.
students. More information can be found on our webpage