What opportunities/programs are there for a semester abroad?
- Erasmus+: Program to promote the mobility of students and teachers within Europe for a maximum of 12 months per study phase, free exchange place, monthly scholarship to cover additional costs arising abroad (graded according to country groups).
- Hessian state partnerships with Wisconsin and Massachusetts (USA) and Queensland (Australia)
- Self-organized (Freemover)
- Further possibilities and information on the page of the International Office
When should I start planning and what are the deadlines?
You should start planning a semester abroad early (about a year in advance). The application deadlines for an Erasmus+ stay are January 20 for the following winter semester and June 15 for the following summer semester. For the deadlines concerning the PROMOS scholarship and the country partnerships, please refer to the pages of the International Office .
Which possibilities of funding are there?
- Erasmus+ funding
- PROMOS scholarship for stays outside Europe
- Auslands-BAföG (state grants for stays abroad)
- More scholarships and information on funding can be found here.
What is the best semester for a stay abroad?
In the Medical Management program, the 5th semester is recommended as a semester abroad. In general, the best time to spend a semester abroad at partner universities within Europe is during the winter semester, because summer semesters in other countries often already start in January. Due to these academic calendar overlaps, you may miss the exam period at THM.
At which universities can I do a semester abroad?
Since the Faculty of Health Sciences currently does not have any university partnerships, you will get the opportunity to do a semester abroad through the leftover places of other THM faculties. Among others, students of Faculty of Health Sciences have already successfully spent a semester at the following universities:
- Bachelor Medical Informatics: Istanbul Aydin University in Turkey, Edinburgh Napier University in Scotland, German Jordanian University in Amman, Jordan.
- Bachelor Medical Management: Umeå Universitet in Sweden, National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) in Mexico City.
Other universities are also possible as host universities, as long as you find modules there that you would like to take and that can be transferred. Details on credit transfer can be found below.
Is there anything to consider regarding the choice of specialization if I want to go abroad?
It is recommended that you do not choose a specialization or to choose the general specialization in order to facilitate the transfer of credits. Although it is also possible to spend a semester abroad with a specialization, this makes it much more difficult to choose a university and the appropriate modules.
Will the achievements obtained abroad be accepted here at the THM?
Yes, achievements made abroad can be transferred to your studies if there is no significant difference between the module contents of the host university and those of your home study program (Lisbon Convention). The examination of the modules and the possible transfer of credits is the responsibility of the Internationalization Officer at the faculty. Therefore, please coordinate your choice of modules with the Internationalization Officer at the Faculty of Health Sciences, Prof. Dr. Holger Thiemann. In the Learning Agreement, the transfer of credits will be agreed upon with the host university and confirmed in writing.
Are there language requirements for studying at a foreign university?
The language requirements differ from university to university and must be researched and clarified individually. The first place to go is the universities' websites and the THM International Office can also help with this question.
Where do I live during a semester abroad?
Generally, you have to organize your accommodation on your own. During a semester abroad with Erasmus+, the department of the university abroad often supports you in finding accommodation. Often, places in dormitories are made available for international students, for which you can apply. However, it is also possible to look for a shared apartment or a single apartment. The THM International Office will be happy to help you with such organizational questions regarding your semester abroad.
What things do I need to keep in mind when planning?
- Application to the THM
- Selection of the host university
- Selection of modules and preparation of the learning agreement
- Application at the host university
- Language preparation
- Dates: Deadlines, orientation days, academic calendar
Please also visit the pages of the International Office of the THM and attend their information events!