How much does it cost to live and study in Germany? You can find answers to this question at the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) website. The Deutsches Studentenwerk (German Student Services Organization) also provides information on this topic.

THM semester fees THM is in Hesse, one of the German federal states in which there are generally no tuition fees for most degree courses. However, you do have to pay some fees each semester. You can find the current fees at the THM website.

Student Financing Resources

Working while studying In cooperation with the "Studentenwerk Gießen" (Giessen Student Services Organization), we have prepared a brochure for you called “Working while Studying”. The brochure also contains legal information (such as how much you are allowed to earn as an international student). You can also find tips on looking for regional part-time jobs in the brochure.

Information from the DAAD The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) website also includes tips and information on working while studying.

Scholarships If you demonstrate good academic performance in your degree course and are simultaneously involved in a club, association or other projects, you may want to apply for a scholarship. The International Office has prepared a list  detailing foundations that support international students.

Various public and private institutions (e.g. political and religious foundations) offer scholarships for foreign students. Although the requirements vary, it is generally expected that you can demonstrate outstanding academic achievement and active social, political and religious involvement. It would be a good idea to research the various scholarships that are available to find the right one for you. You can also use the DAAD’s scholarship database to search for scholarships.

Financial support for students in need International students with financial difficulties through no fault of their own can apply to the following institutions for financial aid:

  • ESG ("Evangelische Studierendengemeinde" or Protestant Student Association) (financial aid and scholarships)
  • KHG ("Katholische Hochschulgemeinde" or Catholic Student Association) (financial aid and scholarships)
  • Förderverein für unschuldig in Not geratene Studierende e.V. (Association for students with financial difficulties through no fault of their own) (Solifunds - funding offered by Giessen universities)