Where can I stay during my exchange semester at THM?
After submitting an application all incoming students from our partner institutions will be assigned a room in one of the halls of residence. The Student Services Organization ("Studentenwerk“) is responsible for organizing accommodations. As soon as you receive your acceptance letter from THM, we will send you the link so you can register for a room in a residence hall online.

Information about the halls of residence is available on the internet.

How much does a room in a hall of residence cost?
The rent for a room in a residence hall is about €231.00 per month for students who stay ten months, and approx. €261.00 for students who stay four months. You must also pay a €250.00 deposit.

Can I also live in a private house or flat?
Yes, you can also live in a private house or flat. The "WG International" team will support you during your search for a private flat/house share (WG stands for "Wohngemeinschaft" and means 'shared flat').
Please be aware that finding a room in a private flat or house is very time consuming and can be very difficult in Giessen and the surrounding area due to the high demand for accommodation. Most of the students in a shared flat will want to get to know you. We would recommend that you stay in a room in a hall of residence.

A room in a private shared flat or house can cost over €250 plus utility bills.

Moving in and rental agreement
You can pick up the keys to your room at the Student Services Organization (Studentenwerk) during opening hours. Permissible move-in times are by early afternoon on Monday to Friday. If you arrive at a later time, you must notify the Student Services Organization in due time. You may have to spend the first night in a youth hostel or in a hotel.

The Student Services Organization (Studentenwerk) will provide you information on paying the first month's rent and the €250 deposit.

Student Servides Organization (Studentenwerk)
Otto-Behaghel-Str. 23 (ground floor)
Richard-Schirrmann-Weg 53, 35398 Giessen
Opening hours: Mon - Thurs: 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.; Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 2.30 p.m.
Tel.: 0641-40008-302 / -303 / -304 / -305
Fax: 0641-40008-309
Internet: www.uni-giessen.de/studentenwerk 

All other rent payments, both in Giessen and in Friedberg will then be made via the direct debit you authorize for the bank account you open here.

Youth Hostel (Jugendherberge) Gießen
Richard-Schirrmann-Weg 53
35398 Gießen
Tel.: 0641/65879
Fax: 0641/9605502
Internet: http://www.giessen.jugendherberge.de/ 

Looking for a Private Flat 
You can find out more here.