After your arrival in Giessen, there are serveral things you will have to do to enrol at THM and to get situated at the university and in the town.

Orientation Days

At the beginning of the semester, the International Office organizes an event called Orientation Days in Giessen especially for exchange students. A similar event is held in Friedberg when required. Student tutors will help you with the many questions you may have concerning bureaucratic matters. At the Orientation Days we will support you in completing all the necessary steps for the following:

  • Enrolment and registration at the university, at the local authorities and for health insurance; opening a bank account; enrolment application
  • Becoming acquainted with THM (student ID, internet, lecture timetable, cafeteria; meeting with your coordinator or with your tutor as the case may be)
  • Establishing new contacts - among others the Buddy Programme and sport at THM

During the Orientation Days a student tutor will assist you in completing all of the items mentioned above.

Orientation Days for the 2017-18 autumn semester

We would recommend that you arrive in time to take part in the Orientation Days. Your should arrive in Giessen no later than one day before the event begins so that you will be able to attend all important events. It is not possible to enrol after the Orientation Days.

In the following we would like to give you more information about the items to be completed during the Orientation Days.


The following steps that you will be required to complete to enrol at THM are given in chronological order. You will not receive your student ID, chip card or semester ticket until after the enrolment process is complete

Registration at the Local Authorities

You will need: your passport and your new address.

In Giessen register at the "Stadtbüro" (Registry Office) in the "Rathaus" (Town Hall)
Berliner Platz 1, Tel.: 0641/306-1234
Opening hours: Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.; Friday: 8 a.m. - noon; Saturday: 10 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

In Friedberg register at the "Bürgerbüro" (Registry Office)
Mainzer-Tor-Anlage, Tel.: 06031/88-1
Opening hours: Monday - Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. -12:30 p.m., Tuesday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.; Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.; Friday: 8:00 a.m. - noon

Students from non-EU countries must register at the Foreigner's Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde):

You will need the following:

  • Confirmation of participation in the THM exchange programme, which you will receive at the International Office after your arrival
  • Passport
  • Two passport photographs
  • Your address in Germany and rental agreement or confirmation from landlord
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Non-EU students must apply for a residence permit

Please note:
You cannot go to the Foreigner's Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) until two days after you have registered at the local authorities in the Town Hall. In Friedberg you have to wait several days.

In Giessen: Foreigner's Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde)
Berliner Platz 1 (Town Hall), Tel.: 0641/306-2315
Opening hours: Monday and Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. - noon; Thursday: 2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

In Friedberg: Foreigner's Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde)
Europaplatz Gebäude A, Tel.: 06031/83-0
Opening hours: Monday - Wednesday: 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.; Thursday: 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.; Friday: 7:30 a.m. - noon

Open a Bank Account

You will need your passport with a valid visa, letter of acceptance and in some cases your registration confirmation from the local authorities and enrolment confirmation (submitted at a later date) .
Since some banks do not charge students fees for having an account, we would recommend that you have your student ID with you.

 The addresses for banks in Gießen

  • Sparkasse Gießen: Johannesstr. 3, 35390 Gießen, Tel.: 0641/704-0
  • Volksbank Gießen: Goethestr. 7, 35390 Gießen, Tel.: 0641/7005-Banks in Friedberg:

 The addresses for banks in Friedberg

  • Sparkasse Wetterau: Kaiserstr. 130, 61169 Friedberg, Tel.: 06031/86-0
  • Wetterauer Volksbank: Schulze-Delitsch-Str. 1, 61169 Friedberg, Tel.: 06031/602-0

Enrolment at THM

Where do I have to enrol?
In Giessen:  at the International Office:
Susanne Michel, Building A13 1.05, Platz der deutschen Einheit 2

You will need the following:

  • Proof of health insurance: you must have health insurance from a German health insurance provider
  • For students from EU countries: if you have an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card), please bring a health insurance exemption form
  • Proof of payment of tuition fees
  • Two passport photographs
  • A copy of your passport
  • Enrolment application (which we will complete together during the Orientation Days)

Where do I get a proof of health insurance / an exemption form?

    Addresses for health insurance providers
  • Giessen: Techniker Krankenkasse, Liebigstraße 14
  • AOK, Gartenstr. 1
  • Friedberg: AOK, Schützenrain 22

How much are tuition fees?
For exchange students tuition fees are currently €222.05 (as of the spring semester 2017). For more information go to our registration page.

Study at the THM University of Applied Sciences

My Learning Agreement / How do I study at THM?
The Learning Agreement stipulates which courses and lectures you are to attend during your stay at THM.
During or after the Orientation Days, you will have an appointment with your department coordinator. You may have already been in contact with your coordinator during the application process. In the first meeting you will get to know each other personally and you will be able to ask questions concerning your module selection and the Learning Agreement.

I have selected new modules. What do I do now?
If you have selected new modules (courses or lectures), please fill in the changes in the "Changes" field in your Learning Agreement. You will also need to have your department coordinator sign the document. You then turn in your document at the International Office, and we will send it to your home institution for confirmation. We will inform you as soon as we receive the confirmation.
For questions concerning your Learning Agreement contact:


Helena Fonseca
EU Student Mobility

  • Giessen Campus
    Building A13
    Room 1.05
  • +49 641 309-1326
  • +49 641 309-2910
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Download the vCard

Office hours:
Tues: 12:30 - 2:30 p.m.
Thur: 12:30 - 02:30 p.m.
and by appointment

Student ID/ Enrolment confirmation 

Lecture Timetable


Registration at the Library
The library offers tours to all new students at the beginning of each semester. Tour dates are posted at the library and you can go any time you want. To use the library you must activate your THM user account. When activating your account you agree to the terms of library use and can start using library services on the following day.

Applying for Internet Access
in Giessen: IT Services, building A12, Wiesenstraße
in Friedberg: IT Services, Wilhelm-Leuschner Straße

Establishing New Contacts

The International Buddy Programme

We cordially invite you to join our International Buddy Programme. As a newcomer at THM you will probably have a lot of questions concerning lectures, professors, the food, student life and leisure activities in Gießen and the surrounding area. Who could answer all these questions? The “International Buddy Programme” puts you in a team with a buddy: you and an experienced THM student form a team. You can take part in an interesting, free programme with a wide variety of activities such as field trips and seminars. This will help you establish new contacts and meet lots of nice people.

More information is available at the IBP page where you can sign up for the programme.

Sport activities at THM