What's the best way to plan for studying abroad?

The first thing to do is decide what country you would like to go to and what you want to study there. You should start planning for studying abroad as soon as possible. We would recommend at least one year in advance.

When is the best time for me to spend time abroad?

Assuming you are not planning to begin work on your final thesis, you should have at least completed the first two years of your degree. The third year has proven to be the best time for a stay abroad.

Who can I contact to ask questions about studying abroad?

The THM International Office assists students who would like to study abroad. However, you should start gathering the necessary information before you seek our advice. You can also contact the study abroad coordinator in your department.

Are there state grants (BAföG) for studying abroad?

In general it is possible to apply for state grants (BAföG) for a study period or internship abroad. Even students who do not receive state grants at home can apply for state grants abroad since it is assumed that studying abroad means higher financial requirements. Students can submit a one-time application for state grants for studying abroad (Auslands-BAföG) for a time period of three to twelve months. The grants are currently not added to the maximum aid period stipulated for domestic state grants if the study period abroad is not a requirement of the degree course at home. However, the rules are frequently changed. For detailed information on state grants abroad contact the Student Services Organization.

Where can I spend a semester abroad?

THM has cooperation programmes with numerous partner universities abroad. For more information go to our Partner Universities page.

Can the credits I earn abroad be transferred towards my degree at home?

A mutual acceptance of credits earned by students as part of exchange programmes and the ERASMUS programme is guaranteed in most cases. The European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) also used by German universities makes it easier for students to transfer credit points earned abroad. Make sure that you can confirm that the academic work you do abroad can be transferred BEFORE you go abroad by finalizing a learning agreement with the relevant coordinator in your department.

After your return the transfer of credits you earned abroad will be handled by your department at THM after you have submitted proof that you have completed courses at the guest institution. Department members responsible for credit transfers include your coordinator and members of the department examinations board.

Mobility certificate for credits to be transferred to a THM degree after a stay abroad

To transfer the credits you earn abroad to the degree you are pursuing at home, contact the administration office in your department. Here the credits to be transferred will be added to your transcript. For the transfer you must submit the following:

  • transcript of records from the visiting institution
  • transfer confirmation from your department
  • mobility certificate

The mobility certificate is available at the International Office. To request your certificate select the following link to generate an email to the International Office:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

To ensure that your request is processed quickly remember to include all required information (name, degree course, period of stay abroad, country of guest institution). You will receive an answer from the International Office after four working days at the latest.

Have you organized and completed a study semester or internship abroad without involving the THM International Office?
If so, you will need a mobility certificate (without mobility programme) so that the credits you have earned abroad can be transferred to your degree by the administration office of your department.

Complete and print out this form. Confirmation for the information you provide can be obtained at the International Office (Giessen Campus: Helena Fonseca and Friedberg Campus: Stefanie Müller-Eibich). Turn in your form here along with a confirmation of your stay or confirmation of departure from your visiting institution or a confirmation of your internship from the relevant company. Please note that the confirmation document must include the dates for the beginning and the end of your academic stay. Any holidays you may have spent in the country before or after the semester or your internship are not to be included.

Can I earn a double degree at THM?

In some academic programmes it is possible to earn two degrees. For more information contact your study abroad coordinator or the International Office.

Will an internship abroad count towards my degree at home?

In deciding whether an internship completed abroad can be counted towards a degree course at home, the same procedure applies as that used for domestic internships: namely by approval of the relevant internship coordinator in your department  (cf. the list of internship coordinators and practical work experience coordinators). Note that you must follow the published regulations and procedures in place for your department.

As is the case with credit transfer for academic achievement abroad make sure that you reach an agreement with the people mentioned above BEFORE you begin your internship.

What do racism and colonialism have to do with a placement abroad?

The way we experience a stay abroad includes an element of our behaviour towards different ways that are new for us. Our own culture also affects the way we report on these experiences.

For some interesting food for thought on this topic read the brochure published by an organization called "glokal": "Mit kolonialen Grüßen …Berichte und Erzählungen von Auslandsaufenthalten rassismuskritisch betrachtet" (Greetings from the Colonies: Reports and Accounts of Stays Abroad with a Critical View of Racism)