If you would like to study in a country that THM does not have a partnership with or if you have not received a place in the programme you originally wanted, you can contact the university in question to enquire whether you may apply as a "freemover" or study abroad student.

Should you pursue this option though, remember that taking the initiative yourself is very time consuming, and you will typically have to begin planning for this kind of study abroad option very early. 

When enquiring whether a stay abroad organized individually by a student is possible, first contact the relevant coordinator in the international office of the university in question. The second step is to contact the coordinator in the relevant department at this university. This step is often done by the international office at this university.

As is the case with cooperation programmes, it is possible to transfer credits earned abroad as part of an individually organized placement. You should talk to the study abroad coordinator in your department early on to find out the necessary details. Your coordinator will be able to tell you whether the credits for the courses in question can be transferred.

All tuition fees will apply in this case. State grants and scholarships (PROMOS) may provide financial aid for some of these costs.

For the best possible planning we would recommend the following:

  • Find a suitable university early on
  • Contact the university yourself to find out about acceptance, application details, deadlines and costs
  • Do not underestimate the costs involved and plan for higher cost of living expenses
  • Obtain information on financial aid options (the International Office will provide you with support)
  • Obtain the necessary application forms and certification of foreign language competence if required
  • Apply for a visa if necessary

There are organizations that can find a place for you at a university abroad and support you during the planning phase. College Contact for instance offers free placement at 229 universities around the world, and Asia Exchange offers free placement at universities in Asia (in this case, you must pay all tuition fees yourself assuming you receive no state grants).

In some cases, organizations do offer partial scholarships. For example, a partial scholarship is currently available for a placement at the University of Canterbury in New Zealand (information is available here).

It is also possible to complete a postgraduate degree abroad. Admission requirements vary greatly from country to country and you should find out the necessary details well in advance.