Why should you study in Giessen?
Gießen is a university town located in the center of the state of Hesse, north of Frankfurt, on the bank of the river Lahn. The town is surrounded by splendid colourful landscapes and beautiful nature.
The population of Gießen is 88.000, including 40.000 students, which makes it the city with the highest density of students in Germany, therefore social life here is lively and cosmopolitan.
Gießen offers numerous outdoor and indoor activities like cycling & walking, skate boarding and inline skating, watersports, swimming, climbing, fitness, yoga and more. The city is also home to social and leisure facilities, including numerous green areas where you can relax and unwind. Students make use of the nearby Botanical Garden where they experience flora from a variety of climate zones.
As a city with distinguished history, Gießen was greatly influenced by science. In the Theatre Park (Theaterpark) you find the X-ray monument, a memorial in honour of Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen. Gießen is also home to various museums, including the world's first interactive mathematics museum "Mathematikum" with more than 170 exhibits. Next, you can explore historical buildings of Oberhessisches Museum just a stone's throw away from the city centre.
What’s more, there is always something cultural happening around. For theatre-goers Gießen's Stadttheater presents opera, musical, operetta, plays and modern dance theatre. Kinopolis, the local cinema, is just around the corner.
When it comes to restaurants and cafes in the city there's an abundance to choose from. Local eateries offer many culinary highlights and beer gardens are a great place to hang out with your fellow students and enjoy the friendly atmosphere.
There are also numerous supermarkets and shopping malls scattered around the city. Seltersweg is Gießen’s top spot for shopping that offers a variety of shops which cover every interest.
Useful information about Gießen and THM:
- A bike-friendly city. Any place can be reached by bicycle.
- You can hire a bike at many places across the city. The bike rental service "netbike" allows students to rent a bike for 30 minutes free of charge.
- Gießen is only about 60 km away from Frankfurt, 30 minutes by car, 40 minutes by train. The train ride is covered by the semester ticket, which includes the use of long-distance trains around the whole area of Hesse.
- Accomodation costs average around 250 euros per month - among the lowest costs in Europe. Average monthly costs of living for students in Germany is around 412 euros, excluding the rent. Compared to other German student cities, Gießen is rather inexpensive.
- At THM we take very good care of our visiting international students, among other initiatives we offer the International Buddy Program.
- There are various initiatives offered by Studentenwerk, i.e. Die Welt zu Gast in Gießen ("the world as a guest in Gießen", a great chance to learn about the area and everyday life in Germany from Gießen citizens), Lokal international (an international student meeting center where students from all over the world exchange ideas and experiences) and more.
- Free German language courses - there are evening courses for visiting students that are free of charge for exchange students.
For more impressions of student life in Giessen, please watch the video.